Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Serving alcohol responsibly

​RSA requirements in precincts

Kings Cross and Sydney CBD Entertainment precincts

Staff who work in the Kings Cross and Sydney CBD Entertainment precincts must have a valid photo competency card or a valid interim certificate.

The older Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) paper certificates are invalid in these precincts.

RSA marshals

An RSA marshal is someone whose role is to make sure venues comply with RSA obligations.

Venues in precincts must employ RSA marshals during supervised trading periods.

A marshal must have up-to-date RSA certification (training and a competency card).

The supervised trading period is:

  • from midnight until 3am (or until the venue closes) 
  • Fridays, Saturdays, public holiday nights and the night before a public holiday.